Finally, 2016 is over.
This year has been filled with heartbreak, sadness, horror, and so much loss. At this point, we can only hope that 2017 will be better. With an optimistic vision, it totally can. Of course, I will continue to be angry towards so many unfortunate events in the world but I refuse to dwell on them but rather find ways to make things better. Always remember, love will always beat hate. In 2017, take action.
Anyways, I’d like to share with you all the things that have made my 2016 memorable and awesome, even when the world around me wasn’t so awesome.
1. Getting closer with my faith.
- In 2016 I was able to get closer with my faith. For the past three years I had been completely unsure of what I believed in, but as the year of 2016 progressed I began calling out to Him more often for help. I started reading my bible more, each verse teaching me something new. I soon was able to become fully invested into my faith. My favorite moment of this was when I realized that I can and will put trust into the path He makes for me. (Disclaimer: I am not trying to convert you in any way, I simply sharing with you all something important in my life (: )
2. Music by The Lumineers and Bad Suns.
- Without hesitation, I constantly put these two bands on shuffle. There sounds are very different but they both share a very special place in my heart, especially in 2016. I’ve been in love with the Lumineers for awhile now but come around April of 2016, they released their 2nd album, Cleopatra. I soon fell completely in love with this album and continued listening to it on repeat throughout the year. Seriously, I know almost every lyric to each song. Alongside the Lumineers, Bad Suns became on repeat constantly. Bad Suns has become a band that every song they have made is my favorite. 2017 has some competition with the new music…
3. Pin Collecting.
- As you all know, I am an avid Disneyland goer (follow my disney Instagram: disneywithjulia) and since I was a kid I’ve been an avid disney pin collector. Well, in 2016 I became a major Disney pin collector. Seriously any cute pin with my favorite character from a Disney movie that I see I’ll buy, especially if it has to do with the Little Mermaid or Star Wars. I spend waaay too much money on pins, it’s becoming ridiculous. I’ve also found the cutest easy shop called Lost Princess Park Pins where they make the most adorable pins with the cutest designs ever! I’m in love with the pin I bought from them recently and can’t wait to style it at the Disney parks. Hopefully someone actually returns me to Prince Eric…
4. The Too Faced Peach Palette.
- One day back in 2015 I had been scrolling through Tumblr as one does and I stumbled onto a preview of this beautiful peach palette created by Too Faced and I had to have it. I’m obsessed with peachy and pinky toned eyeshadows and this basically summed it all up for me. I checked their website nearly every month and their instagram almost every week to check when they were going to be releasing to it! Soon enough, it was first released in the spring of 2016 and I luckily was able to get my hands on it (actually the last one at my local Ulta store lol). It was worth every penny. Luckily, Too Faced released the entire collection again!! Now I gotta get my hands on more of their peachy goodies soon.
5. My Black Kanken.
- This beautiful backpack has been through a lot with me this past 2016. It’s been on beach trips, vacations, disneyland, and on so many adventures. I seriously am not sure what I’d do without this backpack. It is perfect for a traveler or just for someone who plans on carrying a lot. And plus, it’s super cute and trendy! I mostly love using it as a carry on or as my Disneyland bag. It holds everything perfectly and never gives me any back problems. I’m in love with it and can’t wait to get more use out of it in 2017!!
6. My Ukulele.
- I bought this for myself as a very early birthday gift back in October. I’m someone who loves taking on new hobbies and learning new things, so I decided I wanted to learn a new instrument. I watch so many youtubers who play the ukulele and couldn’t help but want to do the same! And so I did it, I went out and purchased my very own ukulele and named her Kalea. I named her this because it means something along the lines of being filled with joy and that’s what I was hoping this small instrument would do for me. So far, I can say that it is true, I am always filled with joy while playing it. I hope in 2017 that I will be able to learn more songs on it (:
7. Turning 17.
- I turned 17 on December 11th and it was a magical day. I felt so much love coming from family and friends on this day and couldn’t have been happier. I didn’t have the greatest year of being 16, but I was still able to look back and realize that I had matured and changed in so many good ways. I can’t wait to see what 17 brings me (: Shoutout to disneyland for always having me on my birthday, no other place I’d rather spend my birthday.
8. My Hydro Flask.
- This became a huge trend at my school and I couldn’t help but hop onto it. But now I no longer look at it as a trend but more as an everyday necessity. My brother gifted me this teal 32 oz. hydro flask as an early birthday gift and I seriously was so happy and thankful to have received it. The next day I began using it right away and started bringing it with me everyday to school. It’s become as important as my phone lol. This beauty has kept me so hydrated and has helped me to drink more water. I would definitely recommend investing in one.
9. High-Top Converses.
- I had never owned high-top converses until this year and let me just tell you, I am obsessed. I want so many more in so many other cool colors!! I find myself reaching for them so much more during the winter to match with my black leggings or my skinny jeans. I find them to be such a cool accessory to any outfit. Basically, all of 2016 I’ve been obsessed with shoes. I’m sure as time goes on I’m gonna be repurchasing these a ton more.
10. Star Wars.
- I could sit here and go on and on about how much I love Star Wars but I won’t bore you all. Instead I’d like to address the passing of Carrie Fisher. Her well know character Princess Leia was such an inspiration to all. She is seriously the most badass princess of all time. Carrie was a beautiful person inside and out, and my heart is so sad to know that we have lost such a gem. May she rest in everlasting peace. Here are two of my favorite Star Wars items that I bought in 2016:
(ps. I’m definitely team dark side)
I hope you all have an amazing new year and are able to enjoy 2017. This year can be great if you make it great.
Ps. I know I’ve gone for some time now, but just know that I will be back more often in 2017 (: I’m a junior in high school, can you blame me for being gone for so long?
Instagram: disneywithjulia / Pinterest: juliamaciass / Spotify: 1975julia / Tumblr: 1975julia